Updated – 02-17-2010
The new beta of Managing News has some changes to channel tagging. In order to summarize the most relevant data across a number of feeds, a "tag" can be applied that allows for grouping of like items based on the tag. For any particular incident, we'd be able to develop a set of keywords for searching out sources (Google, local news, Twitter, etc.) and tags for organizing content in near real-time.
Here's a little project I'll work on in January-Feburary. Our use case would be using a managingnews instance in conjunction with our Emergency Operations Center. Our case study would be the recent Kerr Hall occupation. The prototype test would be used to pull in RSS feeds from the following:
- Is it easy to support this as an EOC tool?
- Is it easy for EOC members to add feeds to the tool on-the-fly?
- Can/do we secure the site?
- Can/would we utilize mapping features?
- How would we push data into Facebook or Twitter or email from the managingnews instance?
- What other functions would make this more useful in an active EOC? e.g., timeline, calendar, image/media management, etc.
Aggregation and Distribution Potential
Lot's of other options exist for aggregating disparate data into this simple UI for reading or reformatting into a published RSS feed. Need to spend some time thinking about using managingnews as re-distribution/preparation/packaging system.