For the Title and Pay Plan application, I had been using the standard views filtering to display a paginated result set of several hundred rows formatted as a table. As you know, the standard Views UI form uses a text field to accept user input. The clients didn't want to have users type, but rather select from a drop down menu.
For the Title and Pay Plan applicaiton, we are using a technique to display information that embeds a view into a node. You might wonder huh? I know nodes. I know views. Why combine them? Here's a picture of how it is being used.
For the Title and Pay Plan project, I made extensive use of the node_import module. Here are a few of the challenges I had with getting data imported.
Two methods for inserting a jQuery snippet.
Method 1 - In the Views UI, navigate to Basic Settings > Header. In the Header, you can insert a jQuery snippet wrapped with <script> tags. This example sets links to open in a new window and provides advanced row striping for a table of data.
I was skimming the twitter stream and came across a reference to this article, http://think.workatplay.com/content/how-convince-your-boss-why-drupal-be.... The article got me thinking about how and where Drupal fit into the enterprise. Our campus has been engaged in a formal Request for Proposal (RFP) process to find a vendor that can meet some 300 individual requirements gathered through extensive outreach by the project team.
For the past several months, I've been working on a project to bring the Title and Pay Plan (TPP) into a more useable format. The request goes back several years to the time of the Business Transformation Program, but for a variety of reasons wasn't able to come to fruition as a web application. The TPP is where the campus tracks salary information for all classifications. Contracts change over time, so we needed a method to help the classification and compensation staff manage this complicated and data intensive material.
Well, I'm trying out my first furlough day. So far, I've slept 12 hours, read my email, got caught up on twitter and read a few articles on Drupal. I've found out that lots of folks are out today and we don't have good coverage on some of our servers.
The whites are in the washer, towels in the dryer. As fun as this is, it feels a lot like a Saturday or a take-a-max-accrual-vacation-day where you're at home on an official day and keeping an eye on your operations...
I've been collecting ideas to blog about. I'll give each of these its own post over the next couple of days.
As I migrated my old site off Joomla and into Drupal, I noticed it was about a year ago that I first dove into Drupal. It all began with some Lullabot training. We had hired Lullabot to provide 3 days of in-house training to about 20 staff. I find CMS's and development frameworks interesting and had been working on learning CakePHP well enough to migrate some of my custom apps from Fusebox v3 to Cake; sweet.
In August 2009, I started moving an old version of my site that had been in Joomla into Drupal. I began by migrating the articles written in Joomla (and prior to that PHP and prior to that HTML) to become pages in Drupal. Since a page typically is static content, I'll probably do some theming to mark this content as older via taxonomy settings. Some of it is ancient and isn't useful to anyone but me as I recollect decisions made about PHP programs, libraries and logic.
As we prepare for the Fall quarter, I'll have some new responsibilities that include Physical Security Systems and an increasing role in supporting Student Affairs and the Chancellor's Office divisions. This reorganizational effort is driven by budget constraints. My personal action plan is to start learning some of the processes, people and technologies at work in these divisions through the Fall and Winter.